Did you know that one of the essential pillars of a business is effective communication? John Maxwell explains in the book "Everyone Communicates, Few Connect" the steps required to creat lasting connections, increasing your productive.
In this summary, it is explained how communicate goes further that only speak, showing the importance of those other necessary skills.
And as every skill, you must train them to implement in your daily life. By this way, your chances to persuade and connect with people will inevitably grow.
Got interested in learning these speaking tools? Stay with us in this summary!
About the book "Everyone Communicates, Few Connect"
"Everyone Communicates, Few Connect", written by John Maxwell. It consists of 115 pages, 2 parts and 10 excellent chapters in which you will understand the importance of a direct, persuasive and effective communication in an individual's career advancement.
About the author John Maxwell
John Maxwell has a degree from Ohio Christian University, a master's degree from Azusa Pacific University and a doctorate from Fuller Theological Seminary.
He is a pastor, lecturer and author of several books on entrepreneurship and leadership.
In addition, Maxwell is considered the number one business leader by the American Management Association and the world's most influential leadership expert by Business Insider.
To whom is this book indicated?
The referral goes to dissatisfied leaders, speakers, and managers who need to learn to connect more dynamically and have no idea how to do that. This book is a guide to success and a manual for effective communication.
Main ideas of the book "Everyone Communicates, Few Connect"
John Maxwell highlights key points that define not only a good communicator, but also those people who use the connection as the key to success in their lives:
- Effective communication is the secret of success;
- Be influential: Connect yourself;
- Ease of connecting with people is about maturity;
- Connection is not only about words;
- Energy and communication must go hand in hand;
- Finding a common ground between you and the other is crucial for good communication;
- Escape the "graveyard communication".
Download the "Everyone Communicates, Few Connect" Book Summary in PDF for free
Do you have no time to read now? Then download the free PDF and read wherever and whenever you want:
Overview: Connecting is Essential
A successful manager needs to learn to connect. Initially we think that this can be done through simple dialogue. But connecting people goes beyond that.
If we stop to think of some simple example, we can soon imagine a scene where, at the end of a speech, one person can't remember what the other said.
But why does this happen?
Because the words sounded freely without finding a specific recipient. Understand that connection and affinity need to go hand in hand.
Now answer: Can you connect in the environment you are in?
If the answer is no, no problem. John Maxwell explains that the connection does not depend on the genetics or heredity of the individual.
It is not a natural thing, but a skill that can be molded over time.
But how to do it?
A leader needs to have communication as one of his basic characteristics. But in order for your way of communicating and connecting to be literally interconnected, it is necessary to understand some extremely important points, such as:
- Nonconformity: Not accepting your lack of connection as something of destiny or something that is part of your personality is the first step to building good communication;
- Courage: It is essential. But it is paramount to understand that the courage disconnected from connectivity will have no effect;
- Understanding the importance of people is crucial to initiating learning about connectivity;
- Increasing connection vocabulary, getting out of mere words, and knowing each other's details is important. That is, being interesting is essential.
3 connection balls
For a successful connection exist, it is necessary to distinguish the forms of communication.
The book teaches that almost all of our communication is in the individual sphere. Because it is a broad sphere, care must be taken in this form of interaction.
That is, being less selfish in words and being helpful and reciprocal with each other are some efficient ways of approaching.
In the collective sphere, for the work team, for example, it needs to be an "equal to equal" communication method.
That is, praising, encouraging and celebrating achievements with the group are excellent measures to have a good connection.
The collective sphere may be beyond the work environment. If you are a speaker, you need to understand that the approach is different.
An audience to stay focused needs entertainment. The language needs to be clear, easily accessible, objective and the audience needs to feel included in their words.
Listener excitement and appreciation should be permanent characteristics in a good communicator's speech. Think about it.
Overview: Other Forms of Interaction
An efficient connection goes beyond mere words, beyond the message itself.
The projection of the voice directly influences the way the listener will receive the speech. The enthusiasm employed is decisive in the good connection with the other.
John Maxwell explains that body language is also taken into consideration. The way you behave in front of someone and your actions through an audience will tell you whether you are a good communicator.
"Everyone Communicates, Few Connect" also reports that it is scientifically proven that the way the other sees the speaker is taken much more into consideration than literally the words themselves.
Be aware of this.
A good connection tip
- A good leader needs to put the fingerprint on the words;
- True speech makes all the difference in the scale of success;
- The credibility of words has to do with the vision you deploy in them;
- And the vision must be yours;
- It has to be your truth, your opinion and your idea through something;
- Be a broker of good ideas, but above all, be beyond a promise, be a living example of what you are offering;
- Connect the people in your favor;
- Have a direct speech.
Communication and energy
Understand that energy is vital in communication.
The author explains that larger the group, more energy is needed to maintain a good communication.
Good leadership needs good communication and, above all, good connection, but for these characteristics to be tightly interconnected it needs some effort on the part of the manager.
Therefore, your batteries, whether mental, physical, spiritual and emotional, need to be continually recharged so as not to disturb the things you are meant to do.
Overview: The Common Point Between You and Each Other
Connecting is a skill. When you intend to communicate with someone, you must first have a study of that person.
It is paramount that you are interested in getting to know each other.
Whether in personal or professional life, exchanging experiences requires a minimum of coherence in speech, and this requires some common factors.
How to get attention from my audience?
Great leaders, managers, and communicators use a few gimmicks to catch the attention of their audience. Among them, we can mention:
- Relationships: Learn to have an influential circle. Sometimes you will come across situations where you will need to speak to a new or different audience you are used to. In order to make communication easier and more comfortable for you, the author explains that it is interesting to have a previous recommendation;
- Perception: Have a helpful speech. Don't take empty words or people won't hear you. Generally, anyone who takes a little time to interact wants to know what the other actually has to offer. Adding value to someone's life is essential for anyone who wants to have an efficient connection;
- Success: Have a winning story. Reporting achievements and demonstrating how it was intended will bring the audience entirely to their advantage;
- Sacrifices: Telling your success story is critical to a good speech. John explains that issues that relate to changing living standards, and most importantly, the way in which you have managed to aim for the ladder of success are some of the factors responsible for public attention.
Overview: An Inspiring Connection
Motivation is the leader's responsibility. Well, we know how much motivation is beneficial in bringing satisfactory results in the shortest amount of time, in keeping the team together and more excited toward the common goal.
For John Maxwell, motivation is also an inspiring form of connection. Inspiration is the union of knowing, seeing and feeling. It is called the "Equation of Inspiration".
Inspiration equation and success return
A good manager needs first of all to be a good listener and a source of inspiration for others.
Building a successful team requires that the collective be valued and that all the opinions of the group members are taken into account. People need to know how important they are.
According to the author, another essential feature of a good leader is to be able to show the conviction of one's own ideas.
Team members or the audience you are speaking to need to believe the truth of what is being said, but in order for it to happen, it must first come from you.
You need to believe what you are talking about and consequently this credibility will be passed on to the other as well.
But what do people need to feel?
Three things need to go beyond the field of emotions. Amongst them:
- The passion for what you do;
- Confidence in what you say;
- The gratitude that moves you.
By following these teachings you have acquired, in fact, start the marathon of victory, achievement, and success in your life.
What do other authors say about it?
In the book "Transforming Networking In Business", the author Jorge Menezes shows how successful professionals have learned to build their careers based on a strong network of personal and professional relationships.
In "How to Win Friends and Influence People", Dale Carnegie talks about how compliments are a way to influence since one of the strongest characteristics of human behavior is the desire to be valued by others. We all enjoy receiving compliments and hearing that we are doing a good job.
Finally, according to Robert Cialdini in his book "Pre-Suasion", everyone uses influence and is a target for it. He explains that persuasion practitioners know exactly what they want and where to go, so they use six psychological principles in their book to achieve their goals.
Okay, but how can I apply this to my life?
In many ways, such as:
- Be aware of errors and repair them: A leader make mistakes, but a good leader recognizes this and tries to fix it;
- Be sincere: The true leader lives his message. Don't spread lies, tell your story exactly as it is;
- Worry about the team base: Being on top is great, but getting on the foundation is critical;
- Escape the monotony: There is nothing more discouraging than listening to a graveyard speech. Be an enthusiast wherever you go;
- Value what others have to offer: A successful manager learns from another's culture;
- Share values and success: Do not be selfish. The secret of success is also in sharing victories.
Did you like this summary of the book "Everyone Communicates, Few Connect"?
Are you excited to apply all these lessons in your life? Leave your feedback in the comments. So we can always offer the best content!
In addition, if you are interested in the book's full edition, it is available for purchase by clicking in the image below: